NORFOLK, Va. (March 13, 2020) — Message from CEO Wayne Jones
Members of the St. Mary’s Home Community,
As we all are aware, the virus known as COVID-19 has been a growing health care concern over the last several weeks in the United States. At St. Mary’s Home, it is our goal to keep our community as safe as possible.
We have created and are continually modifying an action plan that will be implemented in various stages should the virus become a widespread issue in our area. The measures we’ve already taken and are prepared to take reflect the constantly changing dynamics of the illness as it spreads and is better understood.
Due to the current level of viral progression in the local community, we are increasing the precautions that are in place at the Home. These include the following:
- We are diligently following guidelines set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and the Virginia Department of Health.
- The individuals we serve are very vulnerable to all forms of illness. While COVID-19 is certainly a new threat that we are taking extremely seriously, we have always been diligent in our practices and procedures when it comes to the containment of illness. We continue this approach in response to COVID-19 and we are erring on the side of the most caution.
- While the individuals we serve are our absolute first priority, we also continue to plan for the potential impact of COVID-19 to our staff. Our planning includes their safety, particularly those who are providing care to our residents.
- Our annual Spring Fling, which was scheduled to take place at the Home on April 4, 2020, will not proceed as planned.
- All non-essential visitors and volunteers to our programs have been suspended at this time. We are so grateful to those who help us achieve our mission, but we must be cautious and appreciate your understanding.
- We have implemented pre-screening for the essential visitors to the Home for signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
We encourage you to pay close attention to the guidance issued from the Centers for Disease Control, the Virginia Department of Health and other trusted health authorities regarding COVID-19. The links to the most recent guidance are below:
Thank you for your support of St. Mary’s Home,
H. Wayne Jones, CEO